- The Blog
29th August - Albany Walking Holidays 7th June - Snorkelling at Canal Rocks 7th June - Canal Rocks 3rd June - Smiths Beach, Yallingup 1st April - Shelly Cove, Dunsborough 28th March - The South West Region 18th March - Peasholm Street Dog Beach 18th March - Leighton-Mosman Beach 17th March - Dog Beaches of Perth 4th March - Top 10 Things to do in Perth - Part 1 4th March - Swan River Sailing, Perth 25th February - Destinations in WA
- Attractions & Experiences
- Top 10's
- Recommended Links
Perth Dog Beaches
Dogs love nothing more than a trip to the beach! Here's your guide to the dog beaches of Perth's coastline...
Not all dog beaches of Perth's coast are created equal. Some are wavy, others calm - some are long and wide, with plenty of space for your dog to run around, others are small and peppered with rocks and reefs.
Generally, the councils seem to reserve the nicest and most easily accessible beaches for people only - so you'll notice that all the beaches in this list have their good points, but also a couple of down-sides too. So read on and find the Perth dog beach that's best for you and your dog.
If you already have a favourite dog beach in Perth, please leave me and other readers a comment about why you think it's good! Cute and funny dog pictures are always welcome, too! ;-)
On this page...
Visit the Ocean Dog Beaches of Perth,
From South to North
Here's a summary of the dog beaches of Perth from Fremantle to Hillarys, listing their pros and cons. Click through to the page for each individual beach for big photos, more information in detail, and a map showing the exact boundaries of the dog area.
To see where each of the 9 beaches are located in relation to each other and other places in Perth, you can jump down to the map of Perth's coastline.
C Y O'Connor Beach, Hamilton Hill
- Interesting beach to walk along, with the old power station and C Y O'Connor statue to look at
- Rarely crowded
- Long beach, plenty of space
- Calm, safe water sheltered by Garden Island
- Derelict buildings, new housing development and light industrial area behind the beach makes it feel less clean and natural than other dog beaches in Perth
C. Y. O'Connor Beach is a nice, long dog beach with safe calm water, protected by Garden Island which lies parallel to the coast south of Fremantle...
The northern segment of South Beach, Fremantle
- Smallish beach, less than half a kilometre long, but still plenty of space
- Safe calm water
- Dog exercise area extends to the grassy park behind the beach
- Good beach combing, especially in winter
- Calm water, safe swimming for dogs and people
- Fun family atmosphere in summer
Mosman Beach (and North Leighton)
- Long dog beach, about 2km - plenty of space for people and dogs
- Waves low in height and the water gets deep gradually - safe swimming
- Interesting views
- Often large banks of seaweed on the beach
- Be careful of rocks in the water
- Kite surfers and dogs are not always a good mix! (windy afternoons)
Grant Street Beach, Cottesloe (limited hours during summer)
- Dogs not allowed between 10am and 4pm, October to March
- Fairly small area
- Reefs and rocks
- Good fishing in the mornings and evenings
- Nice for swimming, but dangerous when waves are crashing
South City Beach (Army Beach)
- A huge beach, very wide and over 2km long
- Isolated, secluded - could be good or bad depending on what you like in a beach
- Uncrowded, lots and lots of space to run around
- Clean, white sand and clear water
- Safe swimming for dogs when the waves are small, but potentially dangerous in rough surf
- Ends in a storm water drain
- No shelter from the sun or sea breezes
Peasholm Street Dog Beach (aka North Floreat Beach)
- Similar to the South City Beach, but more popular
- Good, clean beach with clear water
- No rocks - safe swimming in calm conditions
- Huge crashing waves, some rips in rough conditions
- Long walk over the dunes to the beach
- Fresh water tap next to the carpark
- Occasional dog washing service set up in the carpark
- 2km long, fairly isolated due to huge dunes
- Ends in a storm water drain
- No shelter from sun or sea breezes
Bennion Beach, Trigg
- Beautiful secluded little beach, but not really the most suitable for dogs
- Rocks on the beach, and reefs in the water
- Reefs provide shelter from waves, but not enough when the waves get really big
- Rocks and cliffs provide shelter from the wind
- Rarely gets crowded, but not a large area for dogs to run around
Watermans Beach South, North Beach
- Similar to Trigg Dog Beach
- Smallish beach with rocks and cliffs
- Rocks and reefs in the water
- OK for swimming when waves aren't breaking
- Fairly sheltered from wind and waves
- Playground and grassy area above the beach
Witfords/Hillarys Dog Beach (off north end of Hillarys Beach off Flinders Avenue)
- Plenty of space - about a kilometre
- Exposed to the wind and waves
- Great for swimming when waves aren't too big
- Clean white sand and beautiful clear water
- Adjoins a horse beach
Map of the Dog Beaches of Perth
View Perth Dog Beaches in a larger map
A. C Y O'Connor Beach
B. South Beach, Fremantle
C. Mosman-Leighton Dog Beach
D. Grant Street Dog Beach, Cottesloe
E. South City Dog Beach
F. Peasholm Street Dog Beach
G. Trigg Dog Beach (Bennion Beach)
H. Waterman Beach South
I. Hillarys Dog Beach
Perth Dog Beaches - The Rules and Regulations
- Carry a lead with you at all times when your dogs are running around off-lead.
- Dogs are allowed to run free without a lead on dog beaches, but must be under supervision and control of their owner.
- Keep the beaches clean - remove all dog poo. Yellow plastic bags are provided at rubbish bins.
Extra Resources for Perth Dog Owners
Here are some of the best websites I could find with info on places you can go with your dog in Perth:
- GoodDog.Info - I love this site. As the name suggests, it contains good dog info for good dogs and their owners! The dog beaches of Perth are described and rated (just one person's opinion, though), and there are also pages about parks where dogs can run around and great routes to take when walking the dog.
- Vet West - this page has an index of places in Perth and the suburbs where dogs can and cannot go, with or without leashes.
Have a favourite Perth Dog Beach?
Do you have a great story about this? Share it with us here!